Self-employed (and partners in partnership) – COVID-19

25th March 2020 (Information correct at the time of publication)

The self-employed are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). You can apply for Universal Credit and or Employment and Support Allowance. You can also apply for these if you are prevented from working because of a risk to public health.

If you employ someone you are entitled to use the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme for your employees.

Self-employed do not have to pay their self-assessment income tax due on 31 July 2020. Payment can be deferred until 31 January 2021. This is automatic, no applications are required, but you need to inform your bank in good time if paying by direct debit.

No Comments

Leave a comment

We would love to read your feedback on the above post. Required fields are shown with a *. Your email address will not be published

Allowed HTML tags are <a href="">, <p>, <br>, <i>, <em>, <strong>, <b> and <strike>.

Jacobs Allen is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information.

Something to shout about

Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) FAQs

The vast majority of questions we have been asked are about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS). You can view all of our FAQs here.